I love a sweet bonnet…

I didn’t have much sewing time, but I did find time to make the bonnet for Rebecca’s dress. I toyed with the idea of making her a brown straw bonnet and decorating it, but I didn’t have a hat mold. I thought maybe I could find a bowl or something round-ish to work as a mold, but nothing quite conformed to the shape of her head. She got tired of me trying every bowl in the house on her head, so I finally gave up. I just decided to use my old standby pattern and make her bonnet from a piece of the fabric.

(I see a few stray threads in my pictures so don’t look too closely. I’ll get them off…)

I added a strip of the white lace across the fabric and then decorated the sides with some flowers. Rebecca could hardly wait to try it on.

I fixed her hair in some curls at the back but they don’t show up as pretty in my pictures as they do in person.

I did make something else for her today…it’s a prop…I’m not quite finished with it and still am debating about whether or not to make a boned crinoline or just a pretty petticoat to make her dress stand out.

So bit by bit and day by day, this dress is coming along and is actually almost finished. I’m still debating on the name and might get my hubby’s input on that.

See you tomorrow,
Blessings, Jeanne

Please spread the word!Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPrint this pageEmail this to someone

I need a name for this Civil War dress…any suggestions?

Well, the Alterations Lady (that would be me!), managed to get the problem fixed with Rebecca’s dress. I’m not exactly sure what happened… maybe the fabric stretched a little bit when I pressed it, or perhaps it had a wrinkle underneath it when I cut the bodice out, or maybe when I stitched on the lace it pulled it out of shape just a bit, but for some reason one shoulder was almost 1/4″ longer than the other side. You could see it best in last night’s picture….

It took a while to rip the stitches out and redo the sleeve seam, but I finally got it! Oh happy day!

Much better, don’t you think?

Then it was time to get all the snaps sewn on… There were only 3 sets in the back of the bodice and one on each sleeve, so I got by pretty easy on this dress.

I hemmed the dress by hand and tried to make it tea length where the pantalettes could be seen…

I used the same lace on them as on the bodice, and I decided to leave them plain so they could be worn with other dresses if the winner likes. My lace was only about 4″ wide so I made the top of the pantalettes out of a printed cotton fabric. I know they had drawstring waists in the Civil War undergarments, but with all the different sized waists on dolls these days, I decided to use elastic. It won’t be seen and will work for any doll.

Here’s one last look at the dress… Now I need a name for it to use on my Ebay listing and YOU ALL ARE SO GOOD AT THINKING OF NAMES… :o)

See you tomorrow,
Blessings, Jeanne

Please spread the word!Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPrint this pageEmail this to someone

Does Rebecca’s dress look like you thought it would?

Well, today we have a little bit more structure than we did last night! Here was last night’s shot…

I managed to get the bodice constructed, and it’s shaping up to be one pretty little Civil War dress to me! Of course, my sweet Rebecca helps just a bit!

I used the bottom section of the lace to make a pretty stand up collar. The sleeves are nice and full, as most 1860’s sleeves were.

I added a little placket on them and will finish them off with snaps.

I know it’s not a whole lot to see, but I worked long and hard on it… when the skirt gets attached, it will really start to take shape.

Also, Linda happened to ask if the hats fit Betsy McCall. I snapped this quick picture of her in the brown one. My doll has the absolute fattest, thickest wig and it still works on her. I don’t know if ALL the Betsy’s have these big fat wigs or if it’s just mine. Mine also has a section pulled over to the side with a rubber band on it… that might make the hat stand up just a bit… I just wanted to show you a picture in case you were wondering…

Well, that’s it for this Saturday…
See you on Monday,
Blessings, Jeanne

Please spread the word!Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPrint this pageEmail this to someone

I can only go so long without making a Civil War dress…

Just like the title says, the next dress coming up will be one for your dolls who live in the Civil War era. I spent some time looking through my illustrated dress books and sorting through my fabrics and finally settled on an idea. I’ve had this fabric for a little while and think it will work for what I have in mind.

You’re really going to have to use your imagination on this pieced together dress.

It’s probably the worst “drape” job I’ve ever shown you. I just wanted you to see the start of it.

I think it looks pretty nice on Rebecca’s skintone, so she will be the model this time.

I quickly looked through my buttons and pulled out these, but I may find something better tomorrow…

I only have 3 fat quarters of this fabric, so it will be a young girls mid calf length dress, but I think a pair of pantalettes will be perfect out of the white embroidered cotton lace.

I think I can squeeze in some sewing time tomorrow…but everytime I say that, something comes up, so I’m not holding my breath!

Three of the little hat sets sold, and I just about jumped out of my chair! Thank you!

See you tomorrow,
Blessings, Jeanne

Please spread the word!Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPrint this pageEmail this to someone