Classic Black & White Civil War Dress for American Girl dolls…in the works…

As much as I have a thing for Civil War dresses, I also have a thing for black and white fabrics. My stash of black fabrics is pretty tall and this was one I have been hoping to get to as soon as the weather took a dip to cooler temperatures. Well, the weather is cooperating, so I thought I better get it started. I’ve got my #41, Eden, helping me this time as a model and she’s going to look VERY pretty in it when it’s all finished.

I started with my fabric and a Vogue pattern that works well for Civil War dresses. Then I gathered a few things I might like for it, like buttons to use for brooches, trims and ribbons.





Whenever I first start out making a dress, I do lots of draping on the doll to get a feel if what I’m thinking will work. I got the basics of the bodice together and Eden has her first fitting…


I was debating about the gray cotton trim over the shoulders and decided I liked it. Also, I’m trying to decide if I want a bow at the neckline with a brooch over it or not…



Hope you enjoy the pictures of my sewing process…


Deciding on a brooch and the ribbon was a little harder but I think I picked the right one.


Here’s another couple of shots of a little bit more done on it. I’ll show you the close up shots when I’m finished… it’s turning over very pretty! Hope you’ll join me tomorrow as I hopefully will have it finished…




There’s lots more to be done to it…a belt/sash at the waist, a bonnet or headdress, maybe a crinoline or a pair of pantalettes… so you better come back and see how it looks when it’s all done. I promise you won’t be disappointed!

See you tomorrow,
Blessings, Jeanne

Please spread the word!Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPrint this pageEmail this to someone


  1. I love that pattern, but never thought to use it for the Civil War dresses…you do such an amazing job on them!

    • Hi Kathy,
      It’s a pretty versatile pattern, but I did make a few tweaks on it. I folded a little tuck in the pattern down the front of the bodice. It was just a bit too wide when I first made it. It made the neckline too wide to suit me. I also put a couple of darts in the back to take out some of the fullnes…
      Thanks, Blessings, Jeanne

  2. Not meaning to repeat myself, but innovation comes to mind again when you decided to fold the ribbon at the neckline, so much for effective than the bow you tried first. Waiting for the finished photo!


    • HI Jevne,
      Oh good, I’m glad you liked the folded ribbon. The bow kind of got lost under the collar so I did it this way with my fingers and it just seemed to look better. I’m working on it today so I hope to get it all finished. I’m loving it… hope everyone else does too.
      Thanks so much,
      Blessings, Jeanne

Speak Your Mind