A black and silver American Girl Regency dress in the works…

I had hoped to get this Regency dress finished today, but it didn’t happen. So I guess this post will be a “work in progress” and hopefully I’ll get it finished and showcase the big reveal on Thursday’s post.

If things go the way I hope they do with the rest of the sewing on this dress, it should be very pretty. It’s made from a black and silvery stretchy velvet like fabric. If you know what Panne velvet is, it’s similar to that. I’ve had it in my stash for quite a while and didn’t know what to make from it. Last night I decided on a Regency dress. I hadn’t ever made a Regency dress out of any fabric like this… with so much stretch and fluidity. It was fun, but at the same time it had its challenges.

CIMG4357

The first thing I did was pick my model. Yep…it’s Eden again. With her black hair, I thought she looked the best with the fabric draped around her.

CIMG4359

I cut out my pieces and constructed the bodice.

CIMG4363

A little more sewing and Eden has a fitting.

CIMG4368

CIMG4371

How about some sleeves… they were a pain. I didn’t make them long enough and barely had enough fabric to turn up a casing. I could have taken them out and cut a longer sleeve, but the thoughts of using a seam ripper to pick out the seams and the serging stitches…especially in this stretchy fabric wasn’t something I wanted to do.

CIMG4377

CIMG4385

…and I just had to see what it was going to look like with the skirt held up to the bodice…

CIMG4387

Once the skirt was attached, it really started to shape into a pretty Regency dress. I wanted the train to be the longest one I had ever added.

CIMG4389

…but I was having trouble getting the back seam to line up straight and hang perfectly vertical. I took out the back seam 3 times trying to get it right. Each time I tried to straighten it up, it took part of the fabric away, and it shortened the back train just a bit.

CIMG4408

CIMG4396

CIMG4397

Once the back seam was finally figured out, it made the train much shorter than I had hoped. Oh well… so I moved on to other things…
How would I decorate this dress? A black ribbon in front that hangs down from the middle?

CIMG4409

Perhaps 2 ribbons tied into bows at the sides?

CIMG4412

Maybe a black braid trim just under the gathered bodice?

CIMG4413

What about a black bow at the back? Perhaps some black fingerless gloves? I’m hoping Rebecca can come up with a pretty necklace too!

CIMG4417

I’m thinking the rest of the dress should go smoother than the first part. You’ll have to come back tomorrow to see how it all turns out! I certainly hope you like it when it’s all finished.

See you tomorrow,
Blessings, Jeanne

Please spread the word!Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPrint this pageEmail this to someone

Comments

  1. I have that type of fabric in my stash and, although pretty, it looks like a pain to work with…you have patience, Jeanne. Can’t wait to see your finished dress. It’ll be beautiful, I am sure.

    • HI Cindy,
      Well, I don’t know about patience… maybe, but I think it was more determination to just get it right! I don’t know why it was so hard to work with… I guess I’m just used to sewing with cottons more.
      I think the hardest part is over with though… we’ll see if I have any more stories to tell for the rest of the dress.
      Thanks Cindy,
      Blessings, Jeanne

  2. I love the way the skirt flows from the empire waist…and the train is rounded just perfectly! It’s going to be stunning!

    • HI Kathie,
      Well, I wish I could say that train was still that long in my first pictures, but it’s not. As I kept pulling the back seam straight, it kept using up the length of my fabric so my train got shorter and shorter each time I had to revise. It’s still an okay train, but now I have my sights set on figuring out a new pattern for a train that is as long as what I first envisioned.
      Thanks Kathie, hope you like it even though it’s shorter…
      Blessings, Jeanne

Speak Your Mind

*